freefont / potato

I have a problem getting X to recognize the freefont packages on a potato
machine.  /etc/X11/XF86Config has:
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont"
but when I start X up, xfontsel doesn't show a freefont foundry like it
used to.

I can get the freefonts recognized by doing
    xset +fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont
    xset fp rehash

but the next time I start up X, it has forgotten about the freefonts.
I am also using xfs, and the config file doesn't show the freefont package
in it's list (plus the fonts listed are all in /usr/lib/X11/fonts instead
of the location listed above).  I'm wondering if I need to put freefont
into the "catalogue = " line of /etc/X11/xfs/config, and if so, why
doesn't the package do this for my like it does with XF86Setup?

I've tried purging and installing freefont, but it doesn't seem to change
anything.

Thanks,

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           tel: 907-474-2689 fax: 474-2643
930 Koyukuk Drive, Suite 408C     email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu

PGP key: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/pubkey.asc