Re: starting ssh port forwarding from inetd

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Bernhard Rieder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to secure my pop3 ans smtp ports with ssh,
> but I'm not sure hoe to set it up.
> Is there a way to start it from inetd?

Try to conform to the standards.

Use stunnel to set up an SSL proxy for the 110 port on the POP3S port
(995). For the client side use either Outlook express's SPOP3 connection
method, or stunnel on the client side, too. stunnel is the recommended.

If you want to use ssh, then use portforwarding on the client side. If you
use it on the server side, then you need to teach the POP3 client ssh,
which is not really feasible.

SMTP is a bit more problematic though. With ssh it is the same as with
POP3. With SSL there seem to be some problem, as far as I remember what I
have read on a page reachable from stunnel homepage.

Anyway:

stunnel homepage is: http://mike.daewoo.com.pl/computer/stunnel

Read all pages reachable thereof.

Robert Varga