Re: ls: file: Input/output error

> you try running a e2fsck on it ?

Yes, but it was /home which was always busy, although I stoped every
process I could think of using files in /home. Isn't there a tool to
check which process is using a certain part of the filesystem?

> run e2fsck -c too, i think that is the option to check for bad blocks. if
> its on the root partition you'll have to bring the box down, fastest way
> is to init 1, mount -o remount,ro / and run e2fsck on it then mount -o
> remount,rw / and init 2 to get back to normal

In the meantime I just rebootet the machine (it always hurts but it
worked...). But thanks for the tip!

What could have caused this I/O error anyway?

Stef