Help: configuring exim as a smart host

I'm trying to configure exim to act as a smarthost relay for my network.
I've read through the html documentation for exim, set what look like the
right options, but I still don't get any relaying. On the client machine I
get a 'permission denied' and a 'lookup failed in smarthost router', and
the smarthost shows nothing in its log.

I know this problem has been brought up before on the list. I've tried
searching the list archives, but I'm not getting anything coming up there.
Could someone point me to a howto that explains how to set up exim as a
smarthost, that's easier to read than the HTML documentation, or possibly
talk me through it?

BTW, the smarthost is running slink (2.1r3) and the clients are mostly
running potato at various snapshots.

-- Ferret no baka