Re: Trouble getting local ntp server working

Iain Lamb (sephoqu@halfbrain.com) wrote:

> I have two machines: 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2
>
> I want to synchronize .2's time with .1's.  I've setup ntp on both.  On
> .2 I've specified 192.168.1.1 as the server.

What did you specify on .1?  It would help to see the ntp.conf files.

>  1 Nov 16:54:57 ntpdate[287]: no server suitable for synchronization found

Normally this means you're trying to sync with a server that isn't
confident in its own state.

> Do I need a special entry in inetd.conf for ntp?  I can't spot
> anything in the documentation that mentions this.

No, ntp runs as a standalone daemon process, not under inetd's control.

Iain Lamb (sephoqu@halfbrain.com) wrote:

> stratum 16, precision -17, leap 11, trust 000
>
> It's like ntpdate doesn't consider .1 'suitable' or trustworthy to
> sync up with.  Maybe I need to find a way to bump up .1's advertised
> stratum?

That's it, precisely.

You need to tell .1 to consider *itself* a stratum 10 time source.
You do this as follows:

  server 127.127.1.1
  fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 10

(The number 127.127.1.1 is magic.  It means "use the system clock".
Don't think of it as an IP address; pinging it will not work.)

After a few minutes, this box should advertise itself as a stratum 10
server when you ntptrace.  At that point, the "client" (.2) box can
run "ntpdate 192.168.1.1" and ntp can maintain synchronization.

aphro (nate@firetrail.com) wrote:

> [root@aphro ~] telnet galactica 123
> Trying 208.222.179.31...

That's because ntp uses UDP, not TCP.  Telnet is a TCP/IP application.
If you want to "connect" to a UDP port, look into netcat.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@kellnet.com             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers,