Re: uninstall/reinstall

Your idea sounds good to me, but I'm new to apt having just
installed it last week. I do know, however, that dpkg -i
package-name.deb will replace the package and keep all the
dependencies correctly, so if you want to download the
actual deb file, you could do that.

Corey Edwards
edogawa_konan@yahoo.com

Hi folks,

just some practical question.

Does there exist a simple mechanism to reinstall a package,
that might
be
broken by some error? If i use dselect, all dependencies
are also
checked
and lots of packages might be removed.

would

dpkg -r --force-depends  XXX ; apt-get install XXX

do what i want ? (Don't like to check it, not to get in
trouble :-) )

Thanks,

Ingo