X11 wierdness

(i'm not currently subscribed to debian-user; please cc me)

About a week or two ago, I started getting some really wierd behavior
under X.  A couple of different things, I'm not really sure if they're
related or not.

Netscape starts at an exceptionally small size, ignores any -geometry
options, and forgets its current size when I open a new window.  I
noticed that xv also opens at an uncomfortably small size.

conversly, rxvt opens at a size larger than my screen, with a light cyan
background, (it's set to black in my .Xresources file, and no size is
specified).   Command line options to effect the rxvt command, however.

needless to say, this is kind of irritating, and I'd like to know if
anybody has any suggestions as to how to get normal behavior back, or
any theories on why this started...

thanks,
 - flip

----------------------------------- flip@csh.rit.edu/flip@octoraro.org ----
"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book;
 inside of a dog, it's very dark."
    -- Groucho Marx