Re: FvwmTaskBar

Blazej Sawionek (B.Sawionek@elka.pw.edu.pl) wrote:

> Suddenly I discovered that from 11 days a process is eating all the power.
> Top says:
>
> 14   0   856  788   584 R       0 98.2  0.6 17047m
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm95//FvwmTaskBar 9 4 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm95/.fvwm95/post.hook 0 8

You might want to report this as a bug.

> This time I will simply kill the process, but how to avoid such situations in the future?

There's no good way, unfortunately.  You can use ulimit (man ulimit) to
restrict user processes to a certain amount of CPU time, or you can use a
shell script to kill processes which exceed a certain amount of CPU time,
but either of these carries severe drawbacks in many situations.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@kellnet.com             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers,