Re: Serious Warning? [SECURITY] New versions of lpr released

On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 09:03:00AM -0700, Pann McCuaig wrote:
> What's this "serious warning" business all about? Why should the lpr
> package care what kernel source package I have installed? (2.0.36 FYI),
> but I might well want to install lpr with _NO_ kernel source files
> installed.

> desktop# dpkg -i lpr_0.46-1-0slink1_i386.deb
> (Reading database ...
> dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package
> `kernel-source-2.2.12' missing, assuming package has no files currently
> installed.

This has nothing to do with lpr. It's from dpkg checking it's install
files (/var/lib/dpkg/info/*) and making sure all is well before proceeding
with the upgrade. Apparently, you removed (or something removed) the
kernel-source-2.2.12 .list file from that directory, so dpkg removes the
references to it from /var/lib/dpkg/status, since it now believes the
package is not installed.

Ben