swap partition size OK... Pointers to MINIMUM boot configuration info?

Hi,

Thanks! That was the info I needed.  I ran mkswap, and it now
refects the proper size of the swap file during bootup.

I could REALLY use some pointers to sites that have info on how
to create a minimum startup configuration.  I have been following
the Bootdisk-HOWTO, but I am left with many questions.

I am hoping that there are some sites out there that will explain
how to create a minimum barebones system.  I have created what I
believe are the essential devices, and am using the simple
/etc/inittab and /etc/rc from the howto.  The system hangs after
mounting the root system read only, giving no more clues.

I am also confused about the boot.b and map files, and how they
come into play, and how they are created.

Pointers greatly welcomed!

John