I shrunk my swap partition, how do I let linux know?

Hello,

I have been trying to make a "boot/root" disk, so I can have a
kernel boot with support for my ZIP drive, and PCMCIA->SCSI->CDROM
if possible.  WOW, I can't believe how hard this is!

To make it "easier" I shrunk my swap partition size by 17 meg, and
created a "spare" ext2 partition of 17 meg.

When I boot, I see a message saying that it is adding about 50 meg
swap space.  This was the OLD size, but the NEW size is about 32 meg.

I can't find any info on how to "let linux know" that my swap
partition has changes sizes.

Any info on this, as well as a more "newbie friendly" guide to
creating boot/root disks would be welcome.  I figure I will start by
setting up this meg partition with everything needed to boot, and
use LILO (for now) to add it to my possible boot schemes.  I am also
doing this so I can learn about EVERYTHING that linux needs to boot
up.

John