help with debian installation

Hello debian users:

I have a winbook laptop. I have installed redhat, mandrake, slackware
successfully on this computer. I have been trying to get into debian as I
like the philosophy behind debian development. I can install the debian
2.1 but with pcmcia support and I can not upgrade as I use internet for
downloading file. I tried, potato unstable release. I had lots of problem.
PCMCIA card works and everything works for sometime and suddenly for no
apparent reason, the computer hangs up (I have to use switch to restart
it). Please let me know how I can get pcmcia card working with stable
distribution. I do not need to upgrade to newer kernels as long as I can
get pcmcia card working.

I look forward to hear from you soon.

Thank you very much for your help.

With regards