Re: Do I have a virus?

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, David Punsalan wrote:

> By the way - are there any known Linux Boot Viruses out there?
> symptom: lilo won't go away.

Not a virus.  It's lilo.

> it's phenomenal.  I've completely gotten rid of linux (to my knowledge)
> off the hard drive - and lilo STILL shows up!
> Where is it coming from?!?!

It's in the master boot record.  from DOS, 'fdisk /mbr' should straighten
it out.  However, this won't work if you had Windows on your second disk.
In that case, the second disk needs to become the first disk.  I think you
may need to boot off floppy for fdisk /mbr to work.  Finally, you might
try 'sys c:' in case you installed LILO onto your windows partition
somehow (?).  For this you'll definitely need to boot off floppy.

You also need to make sure your windows partition is "active".

But why do you want to get rid of linux?