Re: startx

raymond ferrari wrote:

> o.k. I finally got my XF86Config file built and want to startx. During
> the xf86config setup...I used S3V for my chipset...I was told to use the
> XF86_S3Vserver which would be in /usr/X11R6/bin...I tried to  use startx
> after my config setup and the following message comes up:
> x: execution of /usr/bin/X11/XF86_S3V failed.
> _x11 TransSocketUnixConnect:Can't Connect:errno=2
> giving up
> xinit:nosuch file or directory(errno2)
> unable to connect to server
> xinit:no such process(errno3):server error
>
> I think I may know my problem but am not sure how to rectify it. I think
> I have to install the server package???(X33S3V.tgz)??? along with other
> files???I'm not exactly sure how to go about this, however I have some
> books which talk about  running preinst.sh, unpacking files
> from/usr/X11R6, etc. etc. etc. Do I need to make all the links between
> files? During my SuperProbe, the following came up:
> First video: SuperVGA
> chipset: S3 Virge(PCI-Probed)
> memory:2048KB
> RAMDAC:Generic 8 bit pseudo-color DAC (with 6-bit wide lookup tables(or
> in 6-bit mode)).
> Thanks for the help>Ray Ferrari

Assuming you have a valid /etc/apt/source.list file and apt is
installed, you can simply type (as root):
apt-get install xserver-s3
and when it's all done you'll have the S3 server installed and
ready to go.

To double-check, look in /usr/X11/bin for a file named XF86_S3 (r
something similar); make sure this file name is matched by the
first line in /etc/X11/Xserver.