RE: Kernel-Panic : freeing cache, WAS K6-3 / E+gnome

> From: Noah L. Meyerhans [mailto:frodo@morgul.net]
> On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Ingo Reimann wrote:
[...]
> >  Kernel panic: Freeing swap cache page
[...]
> Well, the kernel hackers will probably tell me that this is insane and
> that it could never possibly make a difference... Destroy and re-create
> your swap partitions.

 Well, yes, it *could* make a difference. If you had a new bad sector in
the swap partition (i.e. a spot that went physically bad on the disk) then
you'd need to recreate the swap partition. That could cause the symptoms
reported.

 Next step, use the latest kernel. Bugs are found and fixed all the time,
and maybe you have some hardware that triggers a bug.

 If that doesn't work, check all your hardware. Make sure cables are
plugged in right, cards are seated firmly. If you have more than one memory
card (SIMM or DIMM or whatever) try using only one at a time, see if the
memory's going bad. If all else fails, try slowing down the clock speed of
the CPU, then swapping the CPU for a known good one. Etc., etc. Eventually
you'll find the problem.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles        (248) 377-7735          ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

  "If your faith is disturbed by my doubt, perhaps your faith wasn't
               all that strong to begin with." - Me