Re: Need a runlevel editor! (console ofcourse)

On 29/10/99 Onno wrote:

Yes...

At 03:59 AM 10/29/99 -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:

On 29/10/99 Onno wrote:

I can't find one on the net...

Can somebody help me?

do you mean do manage the /etc/rc?.d symlinks?

I asked about this earlier too, the answer was `mv' :-)

redhat has 2 console runlevel editors chkconfig and ntsysv, the latter is ncurses based...

they are not too bad except for one serious problem (IMO) they require that the initscripts have a header with description info and what the default runlevels it should be started or stopped at, if the script lacks this header they just pretend it does not exist...

if it was not for that I would probably get the source code and fix the /etc/rc.d -> /etc/rc?.d paths and see if they worked on debian but I am not enough of a programmer to try and fix that description header stuff and I don't want to fix every damn initscript I have...

chkconfig works sorta like so:

# chkconfig --levels 2345 giverootd off

redhat's tools are a wee bit buggy though, they do not always do what you expect them too, ntsysv is worse about this. the main flaw though is that header thing.

I was thinking about writing a script to make management of runlevels easier but I have been overcome with laziness^W^W^Wdistracted with other things etc etc...

not to start any flamewars but using mv to manage multiple runlevels is pretty archaic...

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/