Smaller icons for Gnome?

I just recently got a new Twinhead Powerslim laptop and installed Debian
on it.  Works great so far--I haven't bothered to get the sound working yet,
but there was no problem with anything else.  I'm especially happy that I
got it without Windows installed.

But the laptop only has a 12" 800x600 screen, and the default Gnome setup
takes a really inordinate amount of that, mostly due to the large icons.
This is helped by making the panel a hidden corner panel, but smaller
icons would be better.  How can I change Gnome to use smaller icons?

(I'm using up-to-the-minute potato.)

Thanks in advance,
	Dylan Thurston