Linux/X and LCD projectors (sort of video beamer)

Hi,

I'm trying to use a LCD projector (video beamer) coupled to a PC to
show up some PDF files and program usage to a beginners' course, but
with no luck.

All I could show was the text console, but as soon as I switched to X,
the picture went away.

The hardware vendor said that the projector can't show up modes at
high frequencies, only about 60--70 hz. There's no problem with
flickering because basically it is a LCD display.

I lucked to get a picture with the VGA16 driver, but it was slow and
so tall (640x480) and there were so few colors that acroread couldn't
show up anything -- not to talk about the legability of my slides.

Now I'm looking for a possibility to set down the monitor frequency
without loosing to much of the picture quality.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
joachim