AT1700FTPlus nic setup

I installed 2.1r3 into an office PC with an AT1700 10Base-FL nic.  After I
added "io=0x300 irq=5" to the command line, the supplied 1700 driver
installed using the install drivers menu and later the ifconfig command
properly identified the adapters hardware address.  BUT I get a SIOCADDRT
warning about not finding a network during boot and ping does not cause any
activity on the card's tx LED.  The AT1700 driver message during boot
reports the card in 10Base-2 mode (It only has 10Base-T & FL).  I have
searched for alternate drivers - found nothing.  The NT & Win95 systems
that share the box have no problem talking to the Novell hybrid system.  I
am definitely a newbe and could use any suggestions.

Thank you,
Jim  owensj@mailhost.ftscpac.navy.mil