From: Richard Clarke [mailto:clarker8@cs.man.ac.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 1999 8:44 AM
To: Debian User List
Subject: gnu-pop3d

Hi,
    I have my debbox, set up so that exim delivers local mail, and I can run
fetchmail to retrieve pop3 mail to a local mailbox. I now wish to be able to
download this mail to my winbox on the internal network. I installed
gnu-pop3d and added it to inetd.conf, and I can telnet to port 110 just fine
and get the response,
+OK POP3 Welcome to GNU POP3 Server Version 0.9.8
<19428.940945560@clarke-r.sta.
man.ac.uk>

So I take it the pop3d is running ok. However no matter what
username/password I use, I receive bad password responses. My inetd.conf
line is,
pop-3           stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/local/sbin/gnu-pop3d
gnu-pop3d

and services line is,
pop-3           110/tcp                         # POP version 3

Could somebody with experience in pop3d or otherwise offer my a solution to
the problem. Also, is this actually the correct way to go about retrieving
mail to my winbox?

Thanx
Richard