Exim and mail

Ok, I want to use exim to deliver mail to local users and I would like to
use fetchmail to deliver mail from a pop3 server to a particular user.
However I am having problems getting it to work.

I chose,
(4) Local delivery only: You are not on a network.  Mail for local users
     is delivered.

I can mail to localusers just find using, mail. However if I try and do,
fetchmail -u username t8.cs.man.ac.uk

reading message 1 of 5 (1386 header octets) .fetchmail: SMTP connect to
localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from t8.cs.man.ac.uk
fetchmail: Query status=10

Please help
Richard