Mutt and /var/spool/mail

Third time lucky with this one.
After uninstalling a perfectly serviceable version of Mutt in order to
install Mutt-ja I now find that my mailbox is read only. I`ve RTFM and
think that this may have something to do with the -homespool option and
setgid but to be honest I`m still a bit of a newbie and can`t work out
the solution at all. Both times I installed from .debs using dpkg.
mutt -v is as follows:

System: Linux 2.0.36 [using slang 10202]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  -USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
+USE_IMAP  +USE_POP  +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX  +HAVE_COLOR
+HAVE_PGP2  -BUFFY_SIZE
-EXACT_ADDRESS  +ENABLE_NLS
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/spool/mail"
SHAREDIR="/usr/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/etc"
ISPELL="/usr/bin/ispell"
_PGPPATH="/usr/bin/pgp"
_PGPV2PATH="/usr/bin/pgp"

I hope someone can help as I`m sick of using Netscape.
Got to try and get the Japanese Language support figured out next!
--
Paul Walton                 *Powered by*
Cambridge                *Debian GNU Linux*