Network config problems - please help

Hello!

I've got problems setting up my network card (Etherlink III 509b) on my
slink box, running a self-compiled 2.2.12 kernel.
The network tools in netbase are recompiled potato ones.

When booting, I get the messages (from which program???):

SIOCADDART: Invalid argument
SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by device
slip: unknown interface: Operation not supported by device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: Operation not supported by device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Operation not supported by device
slip: unknown interface: Operation not supported by device
SIOCADDART: Invalid argument

(funny; I have not compiled slip support and don't need it - which setup is
wrong here???)

The ethernet card is, as the kernel and isapnp display, correctly
configured.

But, when I try ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.5, I get:

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Can someone please give me some hints about it?

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Stephan Hachinger