Re: Cannot telnet on my SMTP port

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Alessandro Zaffaroni wrote:

> I'm trying to configure fetchmail to retrieve my mail from my pop3
> server.
> However, something goes wrong when fetchmail tries to send retrieved
> messages to my SMTP port.
> Fetchmail send a messages like : "SMTP connection failed"
> I checked if I can telnet my SMTP port and I can't.
> --> trying 127.0.0.1...
> --> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: connection refused
>
> Fetchmail FAQ suggest to fix that first; I tried to, but I wasn't
> successful.

Is your SMTP port open in /etc/inetd.conf. I had once such an problem
after I purged smail which removed the line concerning the SMTP port, also
it was an entry made by exim...

Martin

--
If the box says 'Windows 95 or better', it should run on Linux, right?
                                                               - anonymous

For public PGP-key: finger mfluch@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de