Parallel port problem - No printing possible

Hi,

I am struggling getting my printer to work (Epson SC 740). I am now
pretty sure my problem is that the printer doesn't receive anything
because documents are spooled, and it looks like the documents are sent
to lp0. Still, the printer is dead (It prints in Windows though). I am
pretty sure that I have installed all the required packages. I have also
downloaded and tried special filters for my printer. I can also see
ghostscipt dealing with the print jobs using "top".

I am running potato with kernel 2.2.9. I have tried to recompile the
kernel also without auto detect of the parallel port, but no go. When
compiling with auto detect I can see the printer detected, but on
parport0 (or something like that) instead of lp0. I am not able to
print either way though.

How can check that my parallel port works like it should? How can I see
that lp0 really receives the documents? And finally, what might be the
reason I am not able to print at all?

TIA

Regards,
Christian Dysthe