Re: Laptop works... sort of, Part 2

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 01:43:17PM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> There was one other problem that I forgot to mention:
>
> When the machine goes into a suspend while I'm running X, it will frequently
> (but not always) come back up with an all white screen and I haven't been
> able to find a way to recover from this without rebooting.  (Text consoles
> remain available, though they're occaisionally squashed vertically into the
> upper 80% of the screen, leaving blank space at the bottom.  Switching over
> to a text console and then back to X leaves the console's text on the screen,
> but, starting from a relatively random location, every other scan line drops
> out, one at a time, until it reaches the bottom of the screen, at which point
> the screen starts fading to white, starting at the top corners.  This locked
> the machine up once, but I can usually still switch back to the text display
> and have it be OK.)

I had the same problem under M$; so I've been into the BIOS and disabled
the suspend mode (leaved doze & stdby enabled)

> My kernel APM options are:
>
> CONFIG_APM=y
> # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> # CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
> # CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
                           ^^^
You should enable this one, because its very good for the cpu's health:
it means that if the cpu isn't working, instead of making NOPs
(like M$ products), thus "working"; it'll be switched "idle" (which
means, its quite stopped)

> # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set

Enable this one too, when you leave your machine, after a few minutes,
it will cut the graphics card, so if your monitor is dpms complying,
it'll turn to save mode. (use "setterm -blank <time in minutes>" to
set the time before save mode)

JY
--
Jean-Yves F. Barbier <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>