Re: Need help for x window

On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 10:37:03PM -0600, jh wrote:
> Hi Brant. It is a Micron model M14FG. It says on back: 115/230V/1A, 60/50hz.
> I have tried manually entering 60 for the horiz and 50 for the vert. I have
> tried selections that were preconfigured at 60 and 50. I feel like I have
> tried most of the combinations listed. I know the info on my vid card so I
> do not think that is the issue. One question I have is during the install
> of debian, the install screen was at first in full color, as if it was in
> some kind of window, doesn't that indicate that the program has some basic
> settings that would work for my monitor? I'm wondering if I should go with
> another distribution.
>
> Jeff

Hi Jeff,

These are the power supply specs (nothing about graphics capabilities)

In order to avoid frying your screen, comment all the modelines in
/etc/X11/XF86Config but VESA modes (even in VESA modes, leave only
the lowest modes available).
Then test them: get out ASAP when you got a screwy screen!!
Switch from one mode to another (higher) with CTRL_ALT_+
and backward with CTRL_ALT_- ; go out with CTRL_ALT_BACKSPACE.

Once you'll know what modes are Ok in VESA, carefully try them
in other dac speed (once again begin with low modes!)

Remember, the HSync is in the modelines comment, and the dacspeed
is the first number in a modeline line.

JY
--
Jean-Yves F. Barbier <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>