keyboard hassles with Debian from HP-UX

I'm having some keyboard hassles accessing a debian system from HP-UX 10.20.
I am running rxvt on HP-UX, which requires me to run "stty erase '^?'"
to get backspace working (otherwise only c-backspace works).

When I then telnet to a Debian 2.1 box, backspace works OK -- except
in some programs (noticeably urlview, so probably most slang programs at
least) backspace acts as delete, and c-backspace is required to actually
delete the previous character.

Is there a way to fix this? Something I can change in my HP-UX rxvt settings?

thanks
Hamish