Re: Kernel panic VFS ...

On 22/10/99 Jocke wrote:

I have 2 debian partitions the one that works are on hda2 and the one
that messed up is on hda5.
I have some old vmlinuz + System.map in /boot

Could anyone guide me thru this so I can get my hda5 debian to boot again ?
Can I fix it from "this" (hda2) partition or do I have to use a rescue disc or
something and recompile or what ?

Hoping for some help!

do you have lilo configured so you can boot the other partition? if not you should do that after to get this straightened out, and then alway leave your old kernel in place and have a lilo image for it so if the new one fails you can just boot the previous without problem... i will give you example lilo .conf at the end so you can do this.

if you have successfully booted to your unbroken root hda2 then you can mount -t ext2 /dev/hda5 /mnt to get access to your messed up root, if you still have the working kernel there then simply edit your /etc/lilo.conf (on hda2) and add

image=/mnt/boot/vmlinuz  #whatever working kernel name is
	label=linux.good
	root=/dev/hda5
	read-only

make sure that you also have prompt in there and run lilo when you reboot press tab at the lilo boot: prompt and you will see linux.good so type linux.good and you should boot into hda5 with the working kernel you put there.

you can use the above convention to dual boot between different linux setups just make sure to mount the appropriate filesystems before updating lilo.

my lilo.conf to dual boot debian and redhat with support for one backup kernel (debian side):

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/vmlinuz
	label=debian
	alias=linux
	read-only
	root=/dev/hda1

image=/vmlinuz.old
	label=debian.old
	read-only
	root=/dev/hda1

image=/redhat/boot/vmlinuz
	label=redhat
	read-only
	root=/dev/hda2

image=/redhat/boot/vmlinuz.old
	label=redhat.old
	read-only
	root=/dev/hda2

on the redhat side the /redhat part of the paths are deleted and the debian parts (and the map and install lines) have /debian added to them, each time I run lilo I first make sure that either /debian or /redhat is mounted (the root filesystem of the other system) depending on which i am running, I also make sure that the symlinks point to the right kernels one old/previous one current then I can boot into anything i want right from the lilo prompt.

note: I always use the debian lilo binary, so if I boot into redhat i use /debian/sbin/lilo to update lilo this is to keep the bootloader consistent.

if you build kernels the debian way then the vmlinuz.old symlink should be taken care of for you but check it anyway :)

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/