Solution: SB PCI 128 sound card and ALSA 0.4.1 on 2.2.x potato

Hi

	It was a terrible pain for me to get this card working with my
potato system, so I for the benefit of any future souls clever enough to
search the archives for help, here is (my understanding of) how it worked:

- Compile a new kernel with OSS native sound support.  It does not matter if
you compile it with the specific support for the Ensoniq 1370/1371 or not.
For a Debian system, I got the kernel source 2.2.12 package and did

	# cd /src/linux
	# zcat kernel-source-2.2.12.tar.gz | tar xf -
	# ln -s kernel-source-2.2.12 linux
	# cd linux
	# make menuconfig
		{ Set lots of kernel choices, a tedious process. Do not
			forget to include sound!}
	# make-kpkg clean
	# make-kpkg --revision=3:custom.1.0 kernel_image
		{ This "3:" business is an 'epoch number' that will
			later turn out to be incompatible with
			ALSA, but I want it for kernel installations }

- Compile the ALSA modules

	# cd /src/linux
	# make-kpkg --revision=foralsa.1.0 modules_image
		{ We cannot use the epoch scheme, so we do a
			different revision}

- Install the new kernel and modules

	# cd /usr/src
	# dpkg -i kernel-image-2.2.blahblahblah
	# dpkg -i alsa-modules-2.2.blahblahblah

- Let ALSA configure itself

	# alsaconfig
		{One mistake to avoid: I was not sure if I needed ens1370
			or ens1371 -- even though it autodetected ens1370
			I actually thought the latter was what I wanted.
			So I chose both.  Big problems.}

- Reboot (we're not finished yet)

	# reboot

- Get the driver going

	# modprobe snd-card-ens1370
	# amixer set "Master" unmute
	# amixer set "Master" 100%
	# amixer set "CD" unmute
	# amixer set "CD" 100%
	# amixer set "PCM" unmute
	# amixer set "PCM" 100%

- Try playing a CD and some sounds.  You'll probably want to play with those
volumes a little.

Things I am still trying to figure out:

	- Why do I get constant hissing whenever the volume is at an audible
setting or above?

	- Is it better to have the Master volume at high settings and the
others low, or vice versa?

	- Will I need to do anything for the Joystick port?

				Yours,

					Brian