Exim and fetchmail

Hi,
    Could someone point me to documentation for exim and fetchmail which is
easier to understand than the "man" files. As I understand, exim is a local
mail agent which uses SMTP? to send mail around the localnetwork. Fetchmail
delivers remote mail, POP3 in my case, to this local network and the users
on it. However, I don't fully understand how it all works yet and my attempt
to get either exim or fetchmail working don't seem to bear any success.

Thanks in advance
Richard