Re: ensonique?

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 11:51:48AM +0530, T.V.Gnanasekaran wrote:

> can i purchase ensonique cards? are they supported very well in 2.2.x
> kernels? what other 32-bit cards are very well supported and cheap.
> ;)

If you mean Ensoniq, then the answer is "probably". I don't know the
full range of cards that they make, but the ES1370/1371 based cards are
supported in Linux, both in the kernel sound drivers, and in ALSA.

The ES1370 card is called Ensoniq AudioPCI.
The ES1371 is the Ensoniq AudioPCI'97.

I actually thought that Creative Labs bought Ensoniq, and were making
their cards under different names now (or does that only apply to the
AudioPCI range?). The Creative Labs cards using the ES1370/1371 chips
are the Soundblaster PCI 64 and the PCI 128.

Your best bet is to find out more about the card, and check out
www.alsa-project.org's list of supported cards.

If you want well supported cards that are made by Linux friendly people,
I think the Trident cards are what you're after, if I remember
correctly.

Personally, I'm using ALSA and a Soundblaster PCI 64 (ES1370 chipset).
It's adequate for what I use it for, and it was cheap. It doesn't sound
as good as my Yamaha Waveforce YMF724 did (which was only half the
price, too), but Yamaha aren't giving out the documentation for that
chipset, so we won't be seeing support for it anytime soon. :-(

--
[ Matthew Gregan ]       [ GPG ID: B63A1E95 ]       [ kinetik@ihug.co.nz ]
[ GPG fingerprint:    FB83 2911 F170 B31C 9E4A  E382 CA8A A2F6 B63A 1E95 ]