Re: How to find the ethernet add of NIC

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 07:48:04PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> ZEN MYSTIC (ravi_tiger@rocketmail.com) wrote:
>
> > hi ..anyone knows how to find the ethernet add of NIC
>
> If it's detected by the kernel, you can use /sbin/ifconfig.
>
> If it's not detected by the kernel, first you will have to make the kernel
> detect it, either by loading a module or by building a custom kernel.

??

just compile the kernel with the right NICs support,
then add a line to /etc/lilo.conf:

i.e. I have 2 SMC cards on the server, one for the cable modem,
one for the LAN:
    append="ether=3,0x240,eth0 ether=10,0x280,eth1"

If you don't know the IRQ or I/O, just replace them by 0.

JY
--
Jean-Yves F. Barbier <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>
 "Text processing has made it possible to right-justify any idea, even