Re: can I list just the directories, executables?

* jh  <thedoghouse@sunvalley.net> writes:

> Hi. I would like to know if there is a command that will list just
> directories?

Do a

  man ls

There, press / (for searching in the manual).

Type -d (the text to search).
Type n twice (for next occurence of the searchtext).

See? The option -d is it.

> Also, is there a command that will list executable files. I just got debian
> installed from floppy so there is not too much on my system. The only
> fairly interesting program that I have discovered is ae (I think it stands
> for anthony's editor) I have not figured out how to use it, it's pretty
> arcane.

If your shell is the bash (as I suppose), just press the TAB key
twice. You´ll get a big list of executables in your path. (You can
see what your path is by typing "echo $PATH" (without the quotes).

HTH,
  Colin

PS: And get a book on Linux. www.oreilly.com should have a pointer
    to the free version of their latest Debian book.

--
Colin Marquardt <colin.marquardt@gmx.de>