Re: slink and potato

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 02:17:27PM +0000, RAVIKANT K RAO wrote:
> what is better about potato? ( i'm still new to debian ; so just wondering
> if i should go slink -> potato )

Potato is newer stuff.  The trade-off is that it is less stable -
hasn't been tested as thoroughly.  Potato is almost ready for
release.  It all depends on what you're comfortable with.  The months
before and after a freeze can be pretty rocky, so I might recommend
waiting until it goes beta at least (since you're new to debian).

(unstable -> frozen -> beta -> stable)

unstable  = under development
frozen    = no new packages, bug fixes only
beta      = final testing
stable    = well, stable :)

On the other hand, I guarantee that you'll learn more and faster if
you upgrade :)  Either way, have fun!

					-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu