mktemp segfaults

When calling mktemp I always get a segfault.
This short program was used for testing.

test.c: -----------------------------------
#include <stdlib.h>

char *template = "/tmp/tmpfileXXXXXX";

int main () {
   return printf("%s\n", mktemp(template));
}

$ gcc -o test test.c
$ ./test
Segmentation fault
$

Please don´t tell me that I schouldn't use mktemp.
I know already. But I cannot use mkstemp since I
actually need the filename only (for creating a
temporary pipe).

Is this a glibc-bug or did i make something wrong ?
I use libc6 2.1.2-5 from potato and gcc 2.95.2-0pre2.

Bernhard

--