Re: motif qt and gtk

    MF> I am looking to start some graphic programing and the folowing
    MF> toolkits are those that look most apropraite for serious user
    MF> interfaces and graphics.  I was wondering how apropriate each of
    MF> them is for writing serious programs, and if anyone can give me a
    MF> comparison, or point me to information concerning the abeality of
    MF> each of them.  Any recomendations of where to start?  Thanx
    MF> michf@math.tau.ac.il

This is kinda off-topic, but I would recommend either Qt or Gtk. Motif is
IMO an old toolkit now. Qt and Gtk offer more features than Motif
does. Development tools (GUI Builders) for Qt and Gtk are freely
available. The really good Motif GUI builders are not freely available, and
they cost quite a bit.

Also, Qt is a C++ based object-oriented toolkit. Motif is C based.
Not sure about Gtk, but I think that Gtk+ is also C++ based.

Bottom line IMO is: forget about Motif, take a good look at Qt and/or
Gtk/Gtk+.

Check out freshmeat.net for Qt/Gtk/Gtk+ development tools. IIRC, currently
there aren't any Qt development tools/gui builders in Debian.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT interlog DOT com