dselect can not allocate memory

I am trying to install some stuff using dselect, but it tells me that
can not allocate memory, returns error 1
My status:
# free
                total           used         free      shared
buffers         cached
Mem       14056        4092        9964     1484
196              1752
-/+  buffers/cached:   2144        11912
Swap:      1980         1320         660

# df -h
                                Used        Available
Capacity         Mounted/on
/dev/hda1  1.5G        489M      930M            34%                /

I suppose that I need to increase the swap space, but I am not sure. I
don't know how to do it without reinstalling the whole thing againg from
zero. Please help.
Thanks
Antonio.