Re: Anyone using Sound Blaster PCI64?

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 06:27:33PM +0200, Joop Stakenborg wrote:

> At the moment I am using a Sound Blaster vibra16x pnp card,
> this card is not really supported by OSSFree (kernel)
> or ALSA. Although the card produces sound, it gives dma
> errors when using the second dma channel and it is
> unable to work in full duplex. I am getting fed up with
> this card....

I used to have a Vibra16C, which worked fine. I haven't had any
experience with the 16X, but I believe they aren't well supported, and
have a problem with respect to not having a 16bit DMA channel.

> I am thinking about a new one. The PCI64 by Sound Blaster
> seems a good candidate. Does anyone have experience using this
> card? Some Questions:
>
> - Can I configure it with ISAPNP? If not, how do I do it?
> - Does it work full duplex?

I just put one of these in my machine - it's using the ens1370 chipset
(some of them use the ens1371 or ens1373). I'm actually using it with
the ALSA drivers, and it works fine (provided I keep the volume levels
on the mixer below 90% for both the Master and PCM outputs, otherwise I
get nasty clipping on the sound).

You don't need to configure it with ISAPNP, because it's a PCI card,
both the ALSA drivers and the kernel drivers find the card by
themselves.

I'm not sure about full-duplex mode, since I never use it. I'm pretty
sure it works full-duplex under ALSA, but I have absolutely no idea
about the kernel drivers.

Hope that helps a little.
--
[ Matthew Gregan ]       [ GPG ID: B63A1E95 ]       [ kinetik@ihug.co.nz ]
[ GPG fingerprint:    FB83 2911 F170 B31C 9E4A  E382 CA8A A2F6 B63A 1E95 ]