printing special characters

Hello,
where may I look for the reason that my Canon BJC 210 suddenly is unable to
print special characters like ñ, ö, ç, etc? I´ve been looking in the
Printing-HowTos, the LPRng - Documentation and the aps / magicfilter
documentation. But I didn't find anything that could help me to find out why
I can't print this stuff from one moment to another.
Don't know if it's releated, but the last thing I did before the printer
stopped printing these characters was install StarOffice 5.1.
Any hint about where to look would be apreciated.

Lorenz