RE: OT: MS Security not centralized at all

(sorry it is long and ends a bit opinionated )
(first part may be useful for NT users ! )

> I'm getting weary of looking in a dozen or more locations for the
> patches I need to keep my Windows NT systems up to date. As you know,
> Microsoft locates patches in various directories on its FTP site and in
> various locations on its Web sites. As an example of the

At one point I would have agreed with this.  I now administer both a Debian
server and an NT server.  Microsoft now has Debian apt-get like
functionality on their web page.  Not original, but it works similarly.
They download a small app which compares what you have with the latest
version(s) and gives you a menu of updates with description(s).  It works
well.

This is another case where Microsoft didn't invent the wheel, they just
implemented the idea pretty well.  For that matter, I am not sure Debian
invented the wheel.  A lot of network purchased apps have offered this for
some time.  I do think debian is the first OS provider with the gusto to use
it at the OS level.

Now don't take me as a Microsoft evangelist.  I'm certainly not.  I'm simply
using the tools I need for the specific jobs I need them for.  There are
some areas where Linux is a poor fit (non-networkable windows printers comes
to mind).  There are other where I think it is a toss up.  I.e. The web
server issue is a toss up.

Personally, I think it is awesome that a bunch of volunteers can make the
richest man in the world running the one of the most powerful software
companies ever need an impromptu trouser change once in a while.  The great
news is the trouser change frequency appears to be increasing :)

I would recommend the original poster go back to Microsoft's web site and
look for the automated update option listed under downloads tab.  Maybe that
will help.  I don't know how quickly security updates are posted there.
Just for the sake of comparison, I don't know how quickly apt-get will
reflect security updates either.

( start opinionated part !!! )
Anyway, right tool for the right job.  Excellent work Linux and especially
Debian.  Truly amazing.  I try not to show bias when discussing technical
matters, but I will admit I am not feeling sorry for Mr. Gates.  His
previous tactics can't touch Linux.  Even if he does give away his OS !
Linux could still say "Show me the source".

In the end, I don't so much think Linux will be remembered as much for
producing Linux.  Instead Linux will be remembered for producing a
development model which led to open source businesses like Redhat and
competing with (arguably, bias bit=0) monopolistic predators and winning.

I have no idea how he will compete with Linux.  He's a smart guy.  It should
get interesting.  I just find it hilarious that his own "run out of business
by giving it away" model (Internet explorer/Netscape) is now causing him
problems.  Not to mention open source.  Interesting that the other unix
suppliers aren't complaining !  For now I guess he will resort to a
neo-political style mud slinging attack.  He should keep in mind these are
not TV zombied political voters.  They are technical people parting with
cash...

> The weekly Windows NT security update newsletter
> http://www.winntmag.com/update/

> [snip]

> 1. FROM THE EDITOR ==========

> Hello everyone,

> I'm getting weary of looking in a dozen or more locations for the
> patches I need to keep my Windows NT systems up to date. As you know,
> Microsoft locates patches in various directories on its FTP site and in
> various locations on its Web sites. As an example of the
[...]

And I quote from
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/news/msnw/LinuxMyths.asp:

| Linux system administrators must spend huge amounts of time
| understanding the latest Linux bugs and determining what to do
| about them. This is made complex due to the fact that there isn't
| a central location for security issues to be reported and
| fixed. In contrast Microsoft provides a single security repository
| for notification and fixes of security related issues.
| Configuring Linux security requires an administrator to be an
| expert in the intricacies of the operating system and how
| components interact. Misconfigure any part of the operating system
| and the system could be vulnerable to attack. Windows NT security
| is easy to set up and administer with tools such as the Security
| Configuration Editor.

See? This "weekly Windows NT security update newsletter" can only be
a hoax. Microsoft *themselves* are telling you.

"We have never been at war with competitors."

--
Colin Marquardt <colin.marquardt@gmx.de>