Losing Time

This is really odd.
I have a dual boot system.  I set the time by doing:
  rdate <host>; hwclock --settohc --utc
...where <host> is one of the naval time servers. I've been
using ntp2.usno.navy.mil.

This seems to work fine.
          rdate -p <host>; date
show the same time.  the time is set in the CMOS clock.
I checked this during a reboot.  Here's the problem:

If I shutdown, and either turn off the machine, or reboot to
windows, when I come back, the clock will be behind exactly
the amount of time between the shutdown, and the reboot.
That is:  If I shutdown Linux, eat dinner, and come back
1 hour and 17 minutes later and turn on the machine, the clock
will be 1 hour and 17 minutes ahead!, using:
        rdate -p <host>; date

My /etc/timezone is set to US/Eastern.
HW clock is set to UTC.
My /etc/defaults/rcS file has UTC=yes.