Minimal Install

I'm trying to do a minimal install of Debian 2.1. I'd like to squeeze it
into 30 MB of disk space or so for use on a 40 MB disk. This system would
need to have only very basic functionality and would be used as a
basic router, so would need the IP stack, PPP and a couple of Ethernet
drivers, etc.

I'm aware of the Linux Router Project, but the docs for that are pretty
lacking. To use it I would have to modify some things to have it run off a
hard disk, etc. Before I dived into the contents of the LRP distribution I
thought I'd experiment with standard Debian (as it is much more familiar
to me). So far I've gotten things down to just under 50 MB of disk used
and there doesn't seem to be anything else to remove. I was thinking that
I could do much better with dselect, but that assumption may be wrong. I
was going to start removing required packages, but dselect really
discourages one from doing that. So, I wondered if anyone on the list had
any experiences doing this.

Thanks...