Re: Anyone using Sound Blaster PCI64?

Joop Stakenborg (aba@casema.net) wrote:

> >   Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
> >   SB 4.16 detected OK (220)
> >   SB16: Bad or missing 16 bit DMA channel
>
> Here is what bothers me. The card seems to use 2 DMA channels,
> but one is always working bad (the 16 bit DMA channel).

The ViBRA16X does not have a 16-bit DMA channel.  It has two 8-bit DMA
channels instead.  (As far as I can tell.)

> That's right. I have sound too. Under enlightenment, the default
> window manager for gnome, which uses a sound daemon calles esd,
> the card produces no sound at all.

Huh.  Weird.  I get sound from Civilization: Call to Power (Linux version
1.1) while esd is running, and I'm fairly sure that CTP1.1 uses esd.

> I get warnings in the syslog all the time.

You might want to post them.  Even though I probably can't interpret
them very well, someone else might be able to.

> I want to use this card with speak-freely, but it refuses to work
> in full duplex mode, because of the faulty DMA channel.
> Full duplex is needed to speak and listen at the same time with
> speak-freely.

Unfortunately, I have no insight into this issue.  I've never attempted
to use speak-freely.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@kellnet.com             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.