printing fonts

Hello,
I'm having a debian 2.1 with kernel 2.2.4 (parport included) and lprng with
magicfilter setup. A few days ago I upgraded my StarOffice 5.0 to 5.1 and
tryed to import the addressbook. I tryed it using diferent "charactersets"
for the database.
And after this I had problems to print special characters. Even lpr and
/dev/lp0 go wrong - I'm still able to use them in consoles and aplications
but printing them imposible.
Do you have any I idea where I might have a look to solve this problem?
Thanks
Lorenz