help.. your search is not running yet and need help

I am installing Debian on a Compaq SystemPro/LT (arrrg Compaq!!!) and having
a couple of problems (probably provoked by a lack of a CDROM). I have the
software 'all installed' and configured except the proxy server. I am in the
process of trying to install the 2nd card. I have gone through the FAQ and
installs and etc etc.

I first tried with 2 NE2000 but had no luck and realized I really need to
have one of the cards as UTP. The promary card works fine. If I plug the LAN
cable into the other NE2000 it too works fine but I cant seem to configure 2
cards running at once.

What I want is to have the NE2000 as my side of the gateway and running a
network with:

IP 172.17.12.35

and a Compaq 32 bit NetFlex UTP on my ISP side (which is permitted):
IP 10.169.96.98
sub=255.255.255.248
gate=10.169.96.97
domain=nbtel.net
hostname=010169096098
DNS=192.168.254.2, 192.168.253.2

I tried using the append command with the options with no luck and I tried
some other options in the lilo.conf.

A lot of the info on the web is Red Hat oriented so they all use the
ifconfig command or something. Your search engine is down so not sure where
to get info other then in your FAQ and install notes (which I have printed
off).

nbtel----UTP---10.169.06.98---kern---172.17.12.35---BNC
UTP=netflex
BNC=NE2000

I currently have the BNC set up with the 10... IP so I was able to dselect
my Linux through the web but need to change it around.

I am sure it is really simple to set the module for the NIC but I cant find
it other then the append which doesnt seem to work although the cards work
individually. How can I verify what Linux thinks the IRQ/mem settings are
for NICs? I tried the modprobe ethN commands as well but could not find
eth1. eth0 shows up as IRQ3@0x300.

Sorry this is long but not sure what info will help.

need help pleaseeeeee!
thanks in advance
Chris