Re: how do i NAT a legacy network ?

In article <[🔎] 380158EC.A339B1C5@haltek.telkom.net.id> you write:

>George Bonser wrote:
>
>> Yes, you can ipmasq to nat anything. It simply uses masquerades the given
>> source address to the outbound interface regardless of ip address.
>
>Hi,
>I tested a router between the server that serving nat and my machine the
>other day. But it didn't work properly. The question is (pretty
>obvious), how do you set nat up so that it still be working even if you
>have a router in between.

I will assume you have (not sure from your description).

[ host ] <----> [ router] <----> [ NAT ]???

I am afraid I have no idea why it want work. Can you provide more
details as to what you mean "it didn't work properly?" Also, how have
you configured your NAT (ipmasq)?

Tools I would use to debug such a problem:

tcpdump
netstat
ipchains -L -M          (for linux 2.2.x - run on NAT machine).

The major problem I have had in the most with ipmasq is that it wasn't
operating on expected packets, and just passing them straight through
(due to configuration problem).
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>