Re: Accessing RealPlayer broadcasts from Broadcast.com

I have Debian GNU/Linux (Slink) with a 2.2.12 kernel on a Dell
Latitude CPi D300XT which has a Crystal Semiconductor CS4237B Sound
Blaster Pro compatible sound card.

On boot I get the message:

	Sound initialization started
	<Sound Blaster Pro (8 BIT ONLY) (3.02)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 0,5
	This sound card may not be fully Sound Blaster Pro compatible.
	In many cases there is another way to configure OSS so that
	it works properly with OSS (for example in 16 bit mode).
	Please ignore this message if you _really_ have a SB Pro.
	Sound initialization complete

So I've probably not configured things properly. With RealAudio (using
rvplayer) and the Myth2 demo I don't get proper sound, but instead
hear a horrible screaching sound.  MP3 sounds okay.

While the sound card is a CS4237B there is only a CS4232 available in
the kernerl configuration.  I tried various parameters for this but
all failed (sometimes I got very faint sounds, sometimes sound repeated
3 times, and always a regular click).  Instead I compiled the kernel
for Sound Blaster Pro with the following CONFIG options:

	CONFIG_SOUND=y
	CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=y
	CONFIG_SOUND_SB=y
	CONFIG_SB_BASE=220
	CONFIG_SB_IRQ=5
	CONFIG_SB_DMA=0
	CONFIG_SB_DMA2=5
	CONFIG_SB_MPU_BASE=0
	CONFIG_SB_MPU_IRQ=-1
	CONFIG_SOUND_ADLIB=y

Is there something I haven't configured here?  How do I get 16 bit
sound? I've had a read through the HOWTO and perhaps I need to install
ALSA? Is that the only answer?

Cheers,
Graham