Re: how to remove a broken package (solved)

Thanks for all the input...

After banging my head on this problem and becoming quite intimate with the
different options of dpkg and apt-get, I discovered what the problem was. In
order to disable apache, squid ,etc, one of my coworkers had added the line
'exit 1' at the beginning of the scripts in /etc/init.d. Somehow this
effectively disabled the removal/purge process. After removing this line,
everything went smoothly. Grief, is mind expansion always this painful?

Charles Lewis, Director of Administrative Computing
Southwestern Adventist University, Keene, TX
(817)556-4720  lewisc@swau.edu  FAX (360)397-7952