Re: Lotus Notes

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Jim Penny wrote:

> This is far, far, far from my favorite topic.
>
> Has anyone been able to get the lotus notes binary to run
> undeer Debian?
>
> If so, what was done?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim Penny

There is another alternative to trying to get Notes working under Linux
and that is to ignore it. At my work the email system is Lotus Notes. I
have been using Debian at work for several years now and before that a Sun
workstation, so I've become "spoiled" by the great functionality and
variety standard SMTP mail provides on [LU]*ix systems. So for a select
few (the members of my software team and selected others) I've been
running a normal SMTP mail server on my Debian box. I got our IT guys to
create an alias somehow from my Notes address (sawitt@west.raytheon.com)
to my "real" :) mail address on my Debian box. So Notes forwards (or
redirects or something) mail transparently from the Notes address to my
mail server address. This is IMHO the greatest feature of Notes, if you
can talk your IT guys into it, you don't have to use it!! The only problem
is that going this way adds a 4 - 6 hour delay on the mail, as opposed to
coming directly to my Debian box.

This doesn't really answer your question, and you've probably thought of
it already.